The Story Behind IDgital
The IDgital radiology platform is the first solution of its type built for physicians to enhance their workflow and deliver better clinical outcomes through cutting-edge technologies. This platform’s main idea is to leverage a robust analytics solution, top-notch web application and streaming solutions, and scaling capabilities to acquire, transmit and analyze diagnostic images quickly. The IDgital founders wanted to create an advanced solution together with a professional technical team and the best clinicians from the diagnostic imaging space.
When the client came to Zazmic, he was looking for a reliable technology partner with hands-on experience in healthtech to build a Digital Assistant Platform for IDgital. Since we had proper expertise, successful cases in this sphere, professional cloud architects certified by Google, and were ready to manage the entire product development lifecycle, we started a collaboration with IDgital as the software development team.
The IDgital team requested Zazmic to develop a highly-reliable and stable radiology platform with an end-to-end, zero-footprint solution that would facilitate radiologists’ workflow, improve diagnosis accuracy, and resolve tech limitations existing in the market today. Our team’s main project challenge was to significantly lower the patient’s radiology exam time and provide more accurate patient outcomes by employing advanced technological solutions such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and cloud-based architecture. Moreover, we were responsible for making this platform available anywhere globally to link experts in this field and provide consultations from different radiologists, no matter where they were located.
We were also asked to follow the project requirements requested by the client:
- Use open-source software;
- Leverage the Healthcare APIs platform provided by Google;
- Apply GKE and Kubernetes for the backbone of the application;
- Create a solution to handle processing and management of massive amounts of healthcare data;
- Monitor all integration endpoints using cloud-native components;
- Develop a solution that will allow several hospitals to operate within one platform;
- Leverage big data analytics and machine learning capabilities;
- Make the application deployable in the cloud and on-premise in the future;
- Ensure all integration points, APIs, and databases are stable;
- Autoscale infrastructure;
- Provide suitable training and documentation;
- Provide 24/7 support globally after go-live.
The key technologies used for developing IDgital’s Digital Assistant Platform were Google Cloud tools and some others we describe below.
- Our engineers used Cloud Healthcare API to seamlessly connect all healthcare data with Google Cloud capabilities such as Cloud ML Engine, Cloud Dataflow, and BigQuery. This decision allows for speed-up of digital transformation, facilitates the development process, and integrates with healthcare networks in real-time;
- We also used Cloud VPN to securely connect all healthcare institutions and their infrastructure to the platform;
- Then, our developers used BigQuery, a fully managed analytics data warehouse that eliminates the need for infrastructure management and data administration;
- Using Firebase for the radiology platform, clinicians can send real-time data to all users of the database. In addition to this, Firebase offers hosting services, cloud messaging between platform’s users, authentication, test lab, crash reporting, focused notifications, and powerful links;
- Stackdriver monitoring system was employed for a centralized view over every server in the app. When any problem arises, this system warns users quickly. This solution provides SLO monitoring, logging integration, visualization of metrics, and an alerting system;
- Zazmic specialists used Kubernetes technology to ensure seamless scalability of the microservices architecture of the app and 24/7 connection support;
- eUnity technology was integrated to achieve advanced medical imaging. eUnity provides hospitals with a top-notch zero-footprint viewer for all imaging needs;
- Apart from a web application for IDgital, we also developed a mobile application for greater radiologist convenience.
Zazmic managed to create a reliable, high-performance radiology platform available globally due to the right technology stack. Now, hundreds of hospitals’ radiologists can examine patients much quicker and provide more accurate outcomes and diagnoses with the latest imaging technologies we integrated into this platform. By making this platform multi-tenant, we opened new opportunities for global physician cooperation. Thus, radiologists can now consult with their colleagues worldwide, maintaining the security of all data. In a nutshell, after our collaboration, the client got a platform that can handle a considerable amount of medical data, real-time issues monitoring and reporting, auto-scalable infrastructure, and high-speed and quality radiology imaging. We won’t stop here. We plan to improve the product to scale even more globally.